Looked high and low to find a good chocolate cake recipe and one that is also a country old-fashioned type one. The recipe coming up has been called rich, real and devil’s food cake. I chose this one since it is an easy recipe to follow and does not require all types of utensils. It is also one that should satisfy most chocolate lovers as it is sweet but not overly sweet. You don’t need to wait for a special occasion to bake a cake. Why not try your hand at this sometime soon?
Ingredients you will need:
1. Two and ¼ cups of flour.
2. Two and ½ teaspoonfuls of baking soda.
3. ½ teaspoonful of salt.
4. ½ cup of butter or light butter.
5. Two and ½ cups of firmly packed brown sugar.
6. Three eggs.
7. Three or four 1-ounce squares of unsweetened chocolate.
8. ½ cup of buttermilk.
9. Three teaspoonfuls of vanilla extract.
10. One cup of boiling water. *Important for its moistness.*
1. Preheat oven to 350F or 375F.
2. Grease the bottoms and sides of three 8″ cake pans the sprinkle with flour.
3. Beginning working the butter in a bowl with your clean hands until it is soft and fluffy.
4. Add the sugar and then the unbeaten eggs one at a time.
5. Beat the cake batter hard after the addition of each egg.
6. Place the chocolate into a measuring cup and melt over boiling water. When it’s melted, mix it in with the rest of the batter.
7. Add 1/3 of the flour into the batter and ½ of the buttermilk and stir gently and repeat.
8. Add in the vanilla extract and boiling water.
9. It’s time to pour the batter into the cake pans and don’t be alarmed at the batter’s thinness.
10. Bake for twenty five to thirty minutes.
11. Remove from oven and turn cakes gently upside down onto a cooling rack.
12. When it has cooled down you can then add the frosting.
You can choose to make your own frosting or go with one of your favorites at your grocery store. If you would like to try your hand at making your own frosting there are just a few more ingredients you will need.
Ingredients for making your own chocolate frosting:
1. One and ½ cups of heavy cream.
2. ¼ cup of sugar (regular or powdered.)
3. Two to three tablespoons of cocoa.
4. One teaspoon of vanilla extract.
Mix all of the above ingredients in a bowl then sit the bowl of frosting in your refrigerator for a minimum of two hours. Beat until it holds its shape. You can whip this with an old-fashioned hand mixer for about ten to fifteen minutes and you will get a nice little workout in for your arms. Remember not to frost your cake until it has thoroughly cooled unless you want a crumbled messy cake.
Chocolate Cake – Country Recipes