Beef Stew for a Crowd
Make Country Beef Stew
To get the best flavor from your stew, allow it to slowly cook all day and then serve it warm in the evening. This will allow the flavors to meld together and provide you with a delicious dish that is going to really impress everyone sharing some of this delicious country food.
Top Notch Country Beef Stew
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 pounds chuck roast in 1 inch cubes
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced finely
- 4 cups water or beef broth
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 green bell pepper, seeds removed and cut into strips.
- 1/2 cup green frozen peas
- 8 medium carrots
- 2 large white onions in 1/4 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
How to Make It
- Begin this process by taking a large frying pan and place your oil in it. Then lightly coat the beef with flour and season with salt and pepper.
- Brown the beef until no red remains.
- Add the garlic and onion to the pan and cook another minute or two until it begins to become transparent.
- Add one cup of the water or broth to the frying pan and allow it to cook for a minute or two more to pull up the drippings from the pan.
- Pour the entire mixture into a large pot (approximately 6-8 quart capacity.)
- When that is done, add the thyme, salt, bay leaf and water. Turn the heat down to a simmer and allow it to simmer for about 2 hours.
- During this time, you will watch it and add in water as needed. You can allow it to simmer longer as needed to make the meat a bit more tender.
- When you reach the point that you can cut the meat with a fork, add the carrots, potatoes, green pepper and onions and allow them to cook for at least 40 minutes.
- The last ten minutes, you’ll add the frozen peas, allowing them to just heat through.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- In the final 5 minutes, you return the mixture to a boil.
- Add about 2 tablespoons of water to the corn starch, stirring this mixture until it is smooth.
- Stirring constantly, add the corn starch mixture to your stew to thicken it slightly.
- You are going to find that this will be one of the most popular country recipes that you can make. Keep in mind that the beef can be replaced with chicken if you would prefer to use a leaner cut of meat in your meal.